Wikileaks Cables Spotlight US Surveillance of Burmese Junta - The Irrawaddy, December 7, 2010
Burmese dictator Snr-Gen Than Shwe pondered buying Manchester United football team for US $1 billion at the urge of his favorite grandson in January last year, according to the latest US diplomatic cables revealed by whistle-blowing website Wikileaks.
The proposed move reportedly did not come about because the junta chief thought “that sort of expenditure could look bad” in the aftermath of the 2008 Cyclone Nargis in which more than 130,000 people died...
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally