What Myanmar Must Do To Free Itself Of China – Forbes, September 2, 2013
…“China is corrupt and rotten to the core,” one Myanmar businessman told me earlier this year. The Chinese have taken Myanmar’s resources on terms approaching theft. By 2010, Myanmar’s rulers were convinced that they needed an offsetting great-power relationship. So beginning with Aung San Suu Kyi in November that year, they began freeing political prisoners. A new constitution followed, as did multi-party elections early last year. But few in the West noticed that the constitution left the military free of civilian control and did not mention ethnic group rights. Instead, the U.S. government ignored the non-Burman ethnic groups…
- 5 Years Ago: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Analysis: Mother’s Day Bombings
- Analysis: Thailand’s Half Democracy
- No fraud!
- Fake monks harass New York City tourists
- Who is the catfish?
- 3 Years Ago: Pheu Thai Tries Its Own Reform Council
- Raise the flag!
- Dhammakaya leaving Thailand?
- Another stain on the police
- Bangkok’s Pig