Bangkok Braces for Protests Against Thaksin – WSJ, November 22, 2012
…Now, though, Thailand’s government appears to be risking another showdown, and again Mr. Thaksin is at the center of it. The former leader lives in self-imposed exile in Dubai to avoid sentencing on a 2008 corruption conviction in Thailand, a charge that he says was trumped up to discredit him. But a proposed law would effectively expunge the charge and allow him to return to his home country a free man. Mr. Thaksin’s rivals in Parliament and on the streets have already blocked one attempt to pass the proposed legislation, but after a cabinet shuffle in which several pro-Thaksin stalwarts were named to senior posts, fears are growing about a worsening confrontation…
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Domino fell the wrong way
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- Words won’t stop the attack
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Profiting from being military