Wading in Thailand’s Murky Waters – NYT, November 14, 2011
[Thanks to Marc for pointing this out.]
…Thailand’s flood defenses and flood management are far superior to those of, say, Dhaka. But in Dhaka people accept flooding as a part of life, and even in a country as politically divided as Bangladesh, the battling begums stop fighting when a natural calamity hits. The prospect of a flood fills most people in Bangkok with anxiety, and to them, the politicians become part of the disaster. By keeping their home constituencies dry, Thai politicians have been getting in the way of letting enough water be safely redirected to the sea…
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Don’t help them form a government!
- Put in a basket and wash
- Danger for the junta