Conviction of editor in Thailand setback for human rights – UN rights chief –
… Ms. Pillay welcomed and expressed her support for efforts made by some members of Parliament and academics that have proposed amendments to article 112 to address concerns related to the application of the law.
The High Commissioner also expressed her concern over the length of Mr. Pruksakasemsuk’s pre-trial detention, after his bail requests were denied 12 times by the courts.
“I am disturbed that Somyot has been denied bail and presented in court on several occasions wearing shackles – as if he were some kind of dangerous criminal,” Ms. Pillay. “People exercising freedom of expression should not be punished in the first place…”
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- 13 years ago: Thaksin’s increasing boldness
- Remembering Thaksin as PM: Thaksin surprises reporters with X sign
- Analysis: Yingluck’s Strange Strategy
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – September, 2006
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – Newspaper Front Pages
- 6 Years Ago: Why did the Pheu Thai rush to alter the constitution?
- One thing is actually another
- Stop the clock
- Only one thing can save her
- Editorial Cartoons: Yingluck Flees