Conviction of editor in Thailand setback for human rights – UN rights chief –
… Ms. Pillay welcomed and expressed her support for efforts made by some members of Parliament and academics that have proposed amendments to article 112 to address concerns related to the application of the law.
The High Commissioner also expressed her concern over the length of Mr. Pruksakasemsuk’s pre-trial detention, after his bail requests were denied 12 times by the courts.
“I am disturbed that Somyot has been denied bail and presented in court on several occasions wearing shackles – as if he were some kind of dangerous criminal,” Ms. Pillay. “People exercising freedom of expression should not be punished in the first place…”
- Chakri Memorial Day
- From 2002: ‘The dark age of cowardly dumbed-down TV’
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: US War Criminal
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin’s Lucky Son Wins Subway Deal
- 15 Years Ago: Thaksin’s Quest for Gold
- Overshadowing Buddhism
- Happy Songkran
- US democracy standard
- Thaksin’s monks
- Thaksin’s web
- Bangkok’s ‘deadly rich kids’ get away with murder