Conviction of editor in Thailand setback for human rights – UN rights chief –
… Ms. Pillay welcomed and expressed her support for efforts made by some members of Parliament and academics that have proposed amendments to article 112 to address concerns related to the application of the law.
The High Commissioner also expressed her concern over the length of Mr. Pruksakasemsuk’s pre-trial detention, after his bail requests were denied 12 times by the courts.
“I am disturbed that Somyot has been denied bail and presented in court on several occasions wearing shackles – as if he were some kind of dangerous criminal,” Ms. Pillay. “People exercising freedom of expression should not be punished in the first place…”
- Constitution Day
- The King’s Birthday
- Eight Years Ago: Airport Seized
- 7 years ago: Thaksin to receive $425 per month as Hun Sen advisor
- The real reason people are poor
- New requirements for long stay visa
- The U.S. supports IS
- Thaksin still not dead
- Handouts to rural people end up helping who?
- Death by Facebook
- Thailand’s censorship