Time to Move Bangkok? – blogs.cfr.org, November 9, 2011
[This idea was often raised in the 1990s as a way to combat overcrowding and overdevelopment.]
…One solution that some Thai environmental experts have begun to suggest: Move the whole capital to land that is higher, more secure from flooding, and easier to protect with dikes. Some think that, over time, this is the only solution and that — even with continued groundwater pumping, better dikes, and more effective flood management concentrated in one government agency — Bangkok is still too insecure to survive global climate change. And the Thais have moved their capital before – from the city of Ayuthaya to Bangkok. But that was in 1782.
- From 2003: PM mixes business and politics
- News from the 1890s
- Snake with two heads
- Weekly News Magazines: Drawing the Lines for Elections, November, 2018
- No need for revolutionaries
- Weekly News Magazines: Govt minister and the pro-junta party, November, 2018
- Silly uncle is moving the mountain
- Who is left to run with Sudarat?
- Your behavior is worse than interference
- Can they dissolve the party?
- From Red Shirts to Green Shirts