Time to Move Bangkok? – blogs.cfr.org, November 9, 2011
[This idea was often raised in the 1990s as a way to combat overcrowding and overdevelopment.]
…One solution that some Thai environmental experts have begun to suggest: Move the whole capital to land that is higher, more secure from flooding, and easier to protect with dikes. Some think that, over time, this is the only solution and that — even with continued groundwater pumping, better dikes, and more effective flood management concentrated in one government agency — Bangkok is still too insecure to survive global climate change. And the Thais have moved their capital before – from the city of Ayuthaya to Bangkok. But that was in 1782.
- Bloody October 2008
- 21 Years Ago: Thousands of Thais Protest Bangkok’s Inaction in Crisis
- October 1976: A sea of blood
- 8 Years Ago: Bombmakers in Nonthaburi
- Weekly News Magazines: the junta’s political party, October, 2018
- What happens to the people Thaksin appoints?
- One lotus is above the water
- Silpa Bhirasri, Father of modern art in Thailand
- Politicians need to poo
- Chavalit coughs up bombs (again)
- Rutting Dogs/Rutting Politicians