Just nine years ago we were on the cusp of a crisis. Relive that time with a selection of stories from August 2006 – High Tension in Thailand
* Aftermath of the failed car bomb attempt on Thaksin.
* The stompings at Paragon – In traditional “big man wronged” style, Thaksin began traveling with a squad of plainclothes thugs who would immediately beat up anyone who dared shout abuse at him in public. The police stood by and did nothing.
* Thai Rak Thai threatens to “bring millions to city.”
* There is an interesting article from The Nation wondering if the Democrats will be able to out-market Thaksin and return to power.
* Except for Manager (that was engaged in a life or death struggle with Thaksin), the Thai media had been gagged by libel suits and government interference.
* Prem rallies the military.