[13 years ago, such historical questions could still be openly debated within Thailand. This was despite suggestions and warnings that historians should not debate the authenticity of the stone.
However, as Thailand’s royalty and its royal history began to be invoked in pro- and anti-Thaksin protests, such questioning grew off limits and scholars were threatened with lese majeste charges.]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished