The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Words won’t stop the attack
- Profiting from being military
- We will straighten this out