The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- 24 Years Ago: Black May 1992
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- Chakri Memorial Day
- 6 Years Ago: When the Red Shirts Accepted an Offer of New Elections & Announced an End to Their Rally
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: US War Criminal
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin’s Lucky Son Wins Subway Deal
- 15 Years Ago: Thaksin’s Quest for Gold
- Happy Songkran
- Bangkok’s ‘deadly rich kids’ get away with murder
- Cambodia, Malaysia, and Thailand in the Panama Papers (Thus Far)
- Songkran 2009: Red Shirts overrun ASEAN venue, take govt hostages in Bangkok