The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- 5 Years Ago: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Analysis: Mother’s Day Bombings
- 10 Years Ago: Thaksin Escapes Assassination Attempt
- Analysis: Thailand’s Half Democracy
- No fraud!
- Fake monks harass New York City tourists
- 3 Years Ago: Pheu Thai Tries Its Own Reform Council
- Raise the flag!
- Dhammakaya leaving Thailand?
- Another stain on the police
- Bangkok’s Pig