The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- Bloody October 2008
- October 1976: A sea of blood
- 8 Years Ago: Bombmakers in Nonthaburi
- Political parties in a coma
- The burning parties
- They messed up the country
- Should they still fight for Thaksin?
- Jatuporn’s back
- Turn the ship around
- A tale of two newspapers: New cabinet member a savvy or unethical move?
- Whatever he defecates… it is sacred