The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Yingluck Billboard
- Seven Years Ago Today: Thaksin Allies Try to Takeover Matichon & the Bangkok Post
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning 1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Malay Can Become ASEAN'S Lingua Franca ภาษามาเลสามารถกลายเป็นภาษากลางของอาเซียนได้
- Thailand's boom is sustainable, unlike the one in 1997
- No ridicule or satire please: Governor candidates warned to use social media carefully
- Thai Premier Republic Day chief guest นายกรัฐมนตรีไทยเป็นผู้นำแขกรับเชิญในวันแห่งสาธารณรัฐ
- Couples' Parliament