The Crusader: Canadian lawyer involved in world’s highest profile human rights cases – ukzambians.co.uk, April 22, 2012
…For starters, Amsterdam, 54, is a Canadian, with a talent for landing in political hot spots, such as the Red Shirt compound in Bangkok last spring, where he attempted to negotiate an end to the deadly conflict between anti-government protestors and the Thai military.
He’s probably the only graduate of an Ontario law school who employs a former British Special Air Services commando as a bodyguard…
Amsterdam was contacted by Shinawatra last spring and arrangements were made to have the lawyer go to Thailand to help negotiate an end to the standoff.
“What happened was, the government didn’t want to talk,” he says bluntly. “The government’s preference, quite frankly, is to mow people down in the streets…”
- The Hopewell Project
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- ‘White Mask’ Guards Seen Trying To Hit Red Shirts With Iron Bars
- Thaksin Wants to Know Who Burned Central World
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Thailand’s government acknowledges $4.4B loss from controversial rice price support scheme
- Secret footage reveals brutal conditions of Rohingyas in Thai refugee center
- Ladyboys versus All Blacks: is this the world’s weirdest sport?
- Thailand’s boom: To the northeast, the spoils
- A Thai family’s desperate search for their missing daughter
- If you want it back… then take it