From Thairath, June 28, 2014
Bird: I’m happy… I’m free… I’m happy.
Song: Freedom of the press
Phi Nooring: It’s used to being a little bird in an orange farm.
A mouse: Return happiness to the press
Caption: Freedom in a golden cage
[The cartoon refers to the suppression of the press under the military junta. In Thailand, the press is called “the little bird in the orange farm.” This means that the press, like a bird, has a responsibility to protect an orange grove from insects in the same way the press has to be a watchdog for the people. However, under the control of the junta, the press is like the bird in the golden cage, which is also a Thai proverb meaning to have an easy life, but without freedom.]
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Don’t help them form a government!