Thailand’s government acknowledges $4.4B loss from controversial rice price support scheme – WP, June 18, 2013
…Subsidies for rice farmers were launched in 2004 when Yingluck’s brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, was prime minister and implemented a host of populist policies. The scheme was criticized then for alleged graft and high costs, and Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in 2006 after protests in the capital against his alleged corruption and abuse of power.
The scheme was revived by Yingluck as a flagship policy in her 2011 election campaign…
- The little people are corrupt
- Helping the rice farmers
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Words won’t stop the attack
- Profiting from being military
- Knives out for Sudarat
- We will straighten this out
- Suriya chemical is the most dangerous
- The chicken farmer and the monkey