Thailand’s government acknowledges $4.4B loss from controversial rice price support scheme – WP, June 18, 2013
…Subsidies for rice farmers were launched in 2004 when Yingluck’s brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, was prime minister and implemented a host of populist policies. The scheme was criticized then for alleged graft and high costs, and Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in 2006 after protests in the capital against his alleged corruption and abuse of power.
The scheme was revived by Yingluck as a flagship policy in her 2011 election campaign…
- From 2011: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Before Thaksin: Remembering the Checks and Balances of the 1997 Charter
- Dangerous Voting
- It’s a charade
- America first… World last
- Some bombers don’t go to jail
- The outrageous denial
- Police stealing the work of the gods
- Who controls the pipe bomber?
- Abhisit for leader!
- More on police buying their promtions