Thailand’s government acknowledges $4.4B loss from controversial rice price support scheme – WP, June 18, 2013
…Subsidies for rice farmers were launched in 2004 when Yingluck’s brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, was prime minister and implemented a host of populist policies. The scheme was criticized then for alleged graft and high costs, and Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in 2006 after protests in the capital against his alleged corruption and abuse of power.
The scheme was revived by Yingluck as a flagship policy in her 2011 election campaign…
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- Heaven vs Hell
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work