Thailand second to China as top investor market – iol.co.za, February 26 2012
…Thailand is second only to China among the world’s best emerging markets for investors. The ranking looks at a series of measures such as market transparency and prospects for growth over the next four years.
Thailand’s tiny, $303 billion (R2.3 trillion) stock market as of February 22, accounted for just 0.6 percent of the market value of world equities. As of 2011, its gross domestic product per capita was a mere $5 281 less than half that of Mexico’s. The country is prone to disruptions, ranging from coups d’état and civil strife to tsunamis and floods.
Yet Thailand has developed such successful electronics and auto industries it now produces from 35 to 40 percent of all computer hard-disc drives and, in 2010, built more light trucks than Japan.
In agriculture, besides being the world’s biggest rice exporter, Thailand ranks number one in rubber and number two in sugar. The country that brands itself the Land of Smiles has consistently remained one of the world’s top 20 tourism destinations, attracting more visitors in 2010 than Greece…
- Why not throw the 112 professional hitmen in prison?
- The Bangkok Land Skytrain
- A tale of two newspapers: Gangs controlling motorcycle taxis
- 21 Years Ago: Scrapping the Bangkok Land Skytrain
- Two years Ago: Thailand’s Professional Hitmen and Why They Can’t Be Put in Jail
- Red Protests – May 25-26, 2010
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Red Protests – May 21, 2010
- Nike Factories In Thailand
- 21 Years Ago: Black May
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd