Thailand political icon Yingluck Shinawatra has Kentucky State University roots – state-journal.com, July 12, 2017
…What’s more, Thaksin and his wife also earned master’s degrees from a Kentucky graduate program — Eastern Kentucky’s criminal justice program in 1975 — and current Thai Immigration Bureau chief Nathathorn Prousoontorn received an MPA at KSU like Yingluck. Neither Lake nor officials at the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education could recall a formal deal across all Kentucky schools that led to the influx of Thai students.
Tulsathit Taptim, editor of The Nation, one of Thailand’s capital city newspapers, wasn’t aware of a specific deal either but was not surprised by the consistency of their attendance.
“It’s normal for Thais of Thaksin’s generation to stick to overseas institutions their families felt comfortable with,” Taptim said. “So it was common for people from the same clans would choose similar overseas institutions…”
- From 2011: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- What do these bombs mean?
- Nothing is Permanent
- More reaction to the bombings
- Before Thaksin: Remembering the Checks and Balances of the 1997 Charter
- 28 years ago: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- Can we get rid of the U.S. ambassador?
- Thailand can learn from Myanmar!
- Police for police reform
- Is the junta preparing for Thaksin?
- Dangerous Voting