Thailand political icon Yingluck Shinawatra has Kentucky State University roots – state-journal.com, July 12, 2017
…What’s more, Thaksin and his wife also earned master’s degrees from a Kentucky graduate program — Eastern Kentucky’s criminal justice program in 1975 — and current Thai Immigration Bureau chief Nathathorn Prousoontorn received an MPA at KSU like Yingluck. Neither Lake nor officials at the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education could recall a formal deal across all Kentucky schools that led to the influx of Thai students.
Tulsathit Taptim, editor of The Nation, one of Thailand’s capital city newspapers, wasn’t aware of a specific deal either but was not surprised by the consistency of their attendance.
“It’s normal for Thais of Thaksin’s generation to stick to overseas institutions their families felt comfortable with,” Taptim said. “So it was common for people from the same clans would choose similar overseas institutions…”
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- Weekly News Magazines: Red Bull and the Shy Tiger, September, 2017
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally