Thailand Has No Easy Options to Pay for Rice Subsidy – WSJ, October 7, 2013
…Since the Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra launched the rice subsidy program in 2011 – a populist campaign to help local farmers by buying rice at as much as 50% above market price – the Cabinet has approved a total budget of $16 billion, taken from a state-run bank, to fund the program.
But the government has already spent about $21.4 billion in total since then, Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisal told reporters last month. The Commerce Ministry, which manages the program, has paid some $5 billion from rice sales back to the bank…
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Heaven vs Hell
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work