Thailand extends costly rice-buying scheme – AP, September 3, 2013
…The rice-buying scheme, a flagship policy of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government, has accumulated losses of at least $4.46 billion since it was introduced in 2011. Attempts to lower the payments faced resistance from farmers, whose votes helped Yingluck’s party win a commanding victory in 2011 elections.
Despite the purchasing limit, which was introduced for the first time, the government will pay 30 billion baht ($933 million) more than it did in the last harvest year…
- Constitution Day
- The King’s Birthday
- Eight Years Ago: Airport Seized
- 7 years ago: Thaksin to receive $425 per month as Hun Sen advisor
- New requirements for long stay visa
- The real reason people are poor
- The U.S. supports IS
- Thaksin still not dead
- Handouts to rural people end up helping who?
- Death by Facebook
- Thailand’s censorship