Thailand doubles rubber subsidy, farmers yet to cancel weekend – AP, September 10, 2013
…After the drop in prices last year, the government spent 22 billion baht buying rubber from October 2012 to May 2013 and built up stocks of 210,000 metric tons of rubber sheet without making much impression on global prices.
That $690-million rubber subsidy program was axed after criticism it was costly and distorted the market. Similarly, a government rice intervention scheme has come under intense scrutiny after incurring losses of at least $4.46 billion since it was introduced in 2011.
Thailand has tried to enlist Indonesia and Malaysia, the next biggest exporters, in restricting shipments but has not had much success. Demand from companies in China and from tire makers has proved to be a bigger factor in setting prices…
- 8 Years Ago: Has Thaksin really quit politics?
- 12 Years Ago: When the Nation newspaper was locked in mortal combat with Thaksin
- Revealed: Thailand’s most senior human trafficking investigator to seek political asylum in Australia
- 12 Years Ago: Purachai book ‘outrages’ TRT faithful
- 12 Years Ago: The Nation on the defensive
วันนี้เมื่อ 11 ปีที่แล้ว การป้องกันเดอะเนชั่น
- 12 Years Ago: Thai Rak Thai vows 2004 is a “golden year” for Thailand to move up on par with Singapore, Korea and Taiwan
- 10 Years Ago: As TRT falters, Chalerm sees an opportunity
- Corruption at Ratchapakdi Park: Similar cartoon from Red and Yellow cartoonists
- Weekly News Magazines, December 4-11, 2015
- The ambassador takes on lese majeste
- “You…ugly American you.. go home!!”