Thai Hollywood hopes fade - Asia Times, December 7, 2010
...Those restrictions have impacted on certain foreign film-makers. Bill Yip, an independent film producer from Hong Kong, recently received approval to film in Thailand and even received help in scouting locations from the film authorities. But two days before filming was due to start, the authorities revoked his permission and threatened Yip with prosecution if the film he planned to make about child prostitution centered on Thailand.
It's all in marked contrast to what is happening in nearby Singapore, where the film and TV production industry is booming despite a similarly restrictive censorship regime.
Singapore's interventionist approach of co-investment via the Media Development Authority (MDA) in its own private film sector has created a growing cast of supporting companies capable of working effectively with foreign film-makers...
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Don’t help them form a government!
- Put in a basket and wash
- Danger for the junta