Who really benefited from the rice scheme? – Bangkok Post, June 18, 2013
…Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, who chaired the NRPC meeting on Monday, said the adjustment of the rice pledging price was intended to maintain fiscal discipline so that the rice scheme would not place too great a burden on the state’s coffers.
One might wonder why the minister had not felt a similar need for fiscal discipline several months ago, but instead had persistently shrugged off all criticism of the scheme and refused to come clean on almost everything about it — be it the amount of rice sold and still in stockpiles, the price of rice sold, the buyers, and the estimated losses so far…
- The little people are corrupt
- Helping the rice farmers
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Words won’t stop the attack
- Profiting from being military
- Knives out for Sudarat
- We will straighten this out
- Suriya chemical is the most dangerous
- The chicken farmer and the monkey