Taiwan fraud rings move into Southeast Asia – AFP, May 14, 2011
…He estimated that dozens of young Taiwanese are now held in Thai prisons on fraud charges.
“I believe that some were lured to Thailand by false job deals only to become pawns of the fraud rings and were slapped with heavy prison terms up to 20 years,” Chang said.
Fraud rings usually pick young people who have never gone abroad, speak no English and are from humble backgrounds like Chen’s son so they are more easily manipulated, he said.
Taiwan’s foreign ministry, on the other hand, has said many young people arrested in Thailand were aware of the nature of their “job” but fell for the fat salaries and luxury houses promised by fraud rings…
- Too Many Unemployed Creating Smog
- Same allies, different kingpin
- Matichon comes to its 42nd year
- New Year’s Cartoons: Goodbye Dog Year
- No exit
- Election posters: Looking at you
- New Year’s Cartoons: Wave Goodbye to the Old Year
- New Year’s Cartoons: This year will have an election
- New Year’s Cartoons: Happy new year without sadness
- Unknown as Pheu Thai’s PM pick
- Yingluck kicked out