Taiwan fraud rings move into Southeast Asia – AFP, May 14, 2011
…He estimated that dozens of young Taiwanese are now held in Thai prisons on fraud charges.
“I believe that some were lured to Thailand by false job deals only to become pawns of the fraud rings and were slapped with heavy prison terms up to 20 years,” Chang said.
Fraud rings usually pick young people who have never gone abroad, speak no English and are from humble backgrounds like Chen’s son so they are more easily manipulated, he said.
Taiwan’s foreign ministry, on the other hand, has said many young people arrested in Thailand were aware of the nature of their “job” but fell for the fat salaries and luxury houses promised by fraud rings…
- From 2003: PM mixes business and politics
- 21 Years Ago: Thousands of Thais Protest Bangkok’s Inaction in Crisis
- Chavalit coughs up bombs (again)
- No alliance for the Democrats!
- Not only a dog howls at the bell
- Weekly News Magazines: Two Political Systems, October, 2018
- Different kinds of animals
- Why can’t they praise me?
- The junta should follow Chavolit’s example
- It’s the people’s fault for voting
- The Shinawatras lie about fleeing