Taiwan fraud rings move into Southeast Asia – AFP, May 14, 2011
…He estimated that dozens of young Taiwanese are now held in Thai prisons on fraud charges.
“I believe that some were lured to Thailand by false job deals only to become pawns of the fraud rings and were slapped with heavy prison terms up to 20 years,” Chang said.
Fraud rings usually pick young people who have never gone abroad, speak no English and are from humble backgrounds like Chen’s son so they are more easily manipulated, he said.
Taiwan’s foreign ministry, on the other hand, has said many young people arrested in Thailand were aware of the nature of their “job” but fell for the fat salaries and luxury houses promised by fraud rings…
- The Hopewell Project
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- Thaksin Wants to Know Who Burned Central World
- Secret footage reveals brutal conditions of Rohingyas in Thai refugee center
- ‘White Mask’ Guards Seen Trying To Hit Red Shirts With Iron Bars
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- The perils of ‘doing a Thaksin’
- Thailand’s government acknowledges $4.4B loss from controversial rice price support scheme
- Ladyboys versus All Blacks: is this the world’s weirdest sport?
- Thailand’s boom: To the northeast, the spoils
- If you want it back… then take it