Suu Kyi criticises restoration of Myanmar temples – www.thehindu.com, July 12, 2011
…UNESCO still has the site on its “tentative” list. “These monuments represent the outstanding artistic and technical achievement of an original and innovative Buddhist school of art,” the agency has said. Construction of a 60-metre (198-feet)-high viewing tower in 2003 drew particular ire from conservationists, with UNESCO saying the tower would be out of scale and detract visually from the historical monuments.
State tourism authorities responded that the tower, intended to provide unfettered views, would prevent tourists from climbing on fragile pagodas and stupas and damaging them…
- The last time a coup leader became PM after a return to democracy
- We really care about Thaksin
- Several parties, same owner
- Election poster pollution
- Election posters: Pheu Thai’s heart is people
- Why do Thai people always smile?
- Election posters: Take action, be clear
- More jokes about Yingluck
- Election posters: Stopping, Cleansing, Destroying
- Election posters: Choose a professional executive
- Weekly News Magazines: Dissolution fears, March, 2019