Suu Kyi criticises restoration of Myanmar temples – www.thehindu.com, July 12, 2011
…UNESCO still has the site on its “tentative” list. “These monuments represent the outstanding artistic and technical achievement of an original and innovative Buddhist school of art,” the agency has said. Construction of a 60-metre (198-feet)-high viewing tower in 2003 drew particular ire from conservationists, with UNESCO saying the tower would be out of scale and detract visually from the historical monuments.
State tourism authorities responded that the tower, intended to provide unfettered views, would prevent tourists from climbing on fragile pagodas and stupas and damaging them…
- Weekly News Magazines: Long Live the King, July-August, 2018
- Big Jiew is getting sucked in
- Weekly News Magazines: Raising Chickens for the Military, July, 2018
- Chavalit is very fit
- Defecting from Thaksin
- Instead of cutting, try sucking!
- Political parties in a coma
- Withdraw from the deep south!
- Cables Detail C.I.A. Waterboarding at Secret Thai Prison
- Chinese cartoonist
- Top Red Shirts join with the military