Southern Thailand’s Insurgency Turns Jihadist – irrawaddy.org, January 22, 2013
…The insurgency is now primarily a rebellion legitimized by Islam. Further complicating the nature of the rebellion are deep links to local criminal gangs, especially those centered on drug and people trafficking. Conflict in the Deep South is an extremely profitable business.
Since 2001 and the New York terror attacks, academics and specialists have probed the insurgency in southern Thailand for links to global Islamic terrorism. Nothing has been proven and the accepted wisdom is that there are no links. This view is generally accurate. There has been no grand bargain between local militants and global Islam, although the view does ignore important regional links to Islamic supporters in Malaysia and Indonesia.
However, creeping Islamization is changing the nature of this previously low-level conflict. Eventually, and regardless of the input of global Islam, the current escalation of the conflict is likely to lead to a widening of acceptable targets…
- Nine Years Ago: Thaksin Allies Try to Take Over Matichon & the Bangkok Post
- 1976: A Nightmare of Lynching and Burning
1976 ฝันร้ายของการลงประชาทัณฑ์ และ เผาทั้งเป็น
- 10 Years Ago: The Tak Bai Incident
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- Eight Years Ago Today: The Night of the Coup
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : คืนวันรัฐประหาร
- Eight Years Ago: Editorial cartoons from before the 2006 coup
- October 14, 1973
- Stocks of “Well-known Families” Rising
- Eight Years Ago Today: Thaksin Attempts to Declare a State of Emergency
วันนี้เมื่อ 8 ปีที่แล้ว : ทักษิณประกาศภาวะฉุกเฉิน
- Seven Years Ago: No kidding: they actually ‘own’ political parties here