Southern Thailand’s Insurgency Turns Jihadist – irrawaddy.org, January 22, 2013
…The insurgency is now primarily a rebellion legitimized by Islam. Further complicating the nature of the rebellion are deep links to local criminal gangs, especially those centered on drug and people trafficking. Conflict in the Deep South is an extremely profitable business.
Since 2001 and the New York terror attacks, academics and specialists have probed the insurgency in southern Thailand for links to global Islamic terrorism. Nothing has been proven and the accepted wisdom is that there are no links. This view is generally accurate. There has been no grand bargain between local militants and global Islam, although the view does ignore important regional links to Islamic supporters in Malaysia and Indonesia.
However, creeping Islamization is changing the nature of this previously low-level conflict. Eventually, and regardless of the input of global Islam, the current escalation of the conflict is likely to lead to a widening of acceptable targets…
- A country that’s against pornography vs a country that produces porn
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Thailand international net traffic slowed
- How eccentric were the generals who conducted the 1988 coup in Burma?
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- The strange case of the Gen. Prayut/Prayuth’s name change
- Nike Factories In Thailand
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Thailand’s “Iron Lady” pressured to leave key post after exposing government corruption
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- 57 Years Ago: Sarit deposes Phibul