Singapore: Murdochian Democracy? -Asia Sentinel, July 22, 2011
Probably the most telling statement the press baron Rupert Murdoch made during his abject mea culpa before the UK Parliament Tuesday was his praise of Singapore, saying “the most open and clear society in the world… is Singapore—the cleanest society you can find anywhere—as every minister is paid at least one million dollars a year and has no temptation to transgress.”
What that statement betrays is that Rupert Murdoch appears to have no basic understanding of either independent journalism or democracy itself…
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- The Hopewell Project
- ‘White Mask’ Guards Seen Trying To Hit Red Shirts With Iron Bars
- Thaksin Wants to Know Who Burned Central World
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Thailand’s boom: To the northeast, the spoils
- Thai govt finally revealing huge losses incurred by rice pledging scheme-why not reveal who received the payments?
- A Thai family’s desperate search for their missing daughter
- Ladyboys versus All Blacks: is this the world’s weirdest sport?
- Durian McFlurry at McDonald’s Singapore
- Do police in charge of Akeyuth investigation really owe allegiance to Thaksin?