From Thairath, July 9, 2013
Title: People from this party like shouting at the theater.
Left: Past in 2489 [the year 1946]
A man: Whatever happens, let’s blame Mr. Pridi.
Caption: Shouting at Chalermkrung theater.
Right: Present in 2556 [the year 2013]
A hooded man: Whatever happens, let’s blame Thaksin and PM Poo [Yingluck].
Written on a hooded man: Order to kill people
Caption: Talk show at Scala theater
[This refers to a Thai cultural convention where controversial political statements can be made while shouting in the anonymity of a darkened movie theater. These can be threats against rivals or even accusations that include the monarchy.
Specifically, the cartoon refers to two incidents related to the Democrat Party. First is when someone, supposedly from the Democrat Party, shouted at the cinema blaming Mr. Pridi Banomyong for killing King Rama VIII. This is compared to an event this year when former PM Abhisit Vejjajiva held a talk entitled “2032: Looking into the Future” which touched on the political and economic issues of this government and blamed them for many problems.]
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Don’t help them form a government!