With the government reneging on conducting public hearings on its reconciliation bills and being pressured by dissatisfaction from Red Shirts and former Thai Rak Thai execs demanding cabinet posts, a lightning quick passage of some form of bill that creates a blanket pardon will be crucial.
Tonight’s surprise attempt by the House Speaker to speed up the debate and voting on these bills is typical of this strategy. It was met with a physical response from the opposition as they rushed to stop the speaker from ramming through the measure.
- From 2011: Red Shirt pursuers at the mercy of new government
- Before Thaksin: Remembering the Checks and Balances of the 1997 Charter
- Dangerous Voting
- It’s a charade
- America first… World last
- Some bombers don’t go to jail
- The outrageous denial
- Police stealing the work of the gods
- Who controls the pipe bomber?
- Abhisit for leader!
- More on police buying their promtions