From Thairath, March 6, 2003
Cartoon title: Are you Thai?
On arm: Human right academics
On knife blade: United Nations
On packet in sitting man’s hand: Ya ba [amphetamines]
On briefcase: Money derived from Ya ba trafficking
[The extra-judicial killings of drug suspects was widely popular, but criticized by human rights organizations.
Thaksin bristled at criticism of his drug policies. When asked about a UN envoy beings sent to Thailand to gather facts on the mass deaths, Thaksin famously replied, "The United Nations is not my father. I'm not worried about any UN visit to Thailand on this issue. A UN envoy can come any time to make observations."]
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Milling Ghosts Entering Parliament
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Thai Govt should cease pressuring the Central Bank – Rate cuts "futile and misguided"
- UK scientist who accused Thai govt official of plagiarism has reported receiving death & kidnap threats
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Yingluck Billboard
- Directions to Bangkok's 24-hour casinos
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- Myanmar’s Lawless Land
- China dashes Thai hopes of cutting huge rice stockpile