[This refers to how elected Prime Minister Thaksin and now military junta leader Prayuth both have worked to restrict freedom of the press. The bird represents the press.
The cartoon portrays a notorious incident from Thaksin’s time as prime minister when he started using an “X” paddle to refuse to answer questions he did not like (Thaksin surprises reporters with X sign). The current regime has pushed restrictive licensing rules for media which many see as a dangerous return to the past when the media had much less freedom.]
- 25 Years Ago: Black May
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- 6 Years Ago: Thaksin to return by year’s end to resume the war on drugs
- 16 years ago: Thaksin’s strange start as prime minister – Finding a gold hoard
- From 2009: The collapse of the first Red Shirt siege of Bangkok
- The Secret Submarine: News Magazines, April-May, 2017
- What do these bombs mean?
- Locking the Media: Weekly News Magazines, May, 2017
- Nothing is Permanent
- More reaction to the bombings
- 28 years ago: An article in the NYT about Rama IX