‘Jet ski at your own peril in Phuket and Pattaya’ – bangaloremirror.com, April, 2012
…But the Eden of their dreams has a dark underbelly which reveals itself on the beaches of Phuket and Pattaya — a local mafia-run jet ski scam which has ripped off scores of foreign tourists. The racketeers’ modus operandi is simple: they rent out jet skis, which have some damage in a not-so-discernible place, to vacationers at attractive rates. Then, when the joyride is over, they pounce on the unsuspecting tourists for having caused the ‘damage’ and extort huge amounts from them, quite often at knifepoint.
Raul Shanth, a youngster from Bangalore who went to Thailand on a five-day trip recently along with his family, fell prey to the racket. His warning to fellow-Bangaloreans: Be ultra-cautious or, better still, desist from hiring a jet ski at the beaches of Phuket and Pattaya…
- 11 years ago: Thai police to be reformed, Traffic police could face charges of extortion
- Eight Years Ago: Gen. Chavalit to lead “People’s Army”
- The Democrats join in the burning
- Yet still more cartoons on Prawit’s expensive watch
- Foreign luxury brands plot against the junta!
- New Year’s Cartoon: Something for the Poor
- Let’s support Prayuth!
- They are going to get Prawit
- New Year’s Cartoon: News of the Past Year
- The military party deserves a head start
- Not Richard Mille