From Manager, July 4, 2017
The police: Wowwww… the fine is 800,000 [baht]… So powerful… smoothly plows!
On the plow handle: Management of Foreign Work Act
Caption: New tool for living
[Refers to an enforcement of the Management of Foreign Work Act. In the cartoon, it raises concern that it would provide a new opportunity for the police to squeeze money, in the form of bribes, from employers who might want to violate the act.
The cartoon plays with the word “plow” which is used as a slang work to mean “squeeze” (as in “extort”).]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally