Myanmar’s aviation industry booms despite grim safety record – Reuters, October 21, 2013
…But the appalling safety rate has hardly dented a broader trend in Myanmar’s aviation industry: spectacular growth. After decades under the thumb of xenophobic generals, one of Asia’s last frontiers of commercial aviation is opening up.
Passenger numbers are surging as new airlines spring up and foreign carriers rush in. Some officials and executives talk grandly of turning Myanmar into a regional hub.
The country, however, appears ill-prepared for the pace of change, putting both safety – and the prospects of many hopeful airlines – at risk…
- From 2003: PM mixes business and politics
- News from the 1890s
- Snake with two heads
- Weekly News Magazines: Drawing the Lines for Elections, November, 2018
- Weekly News Magazines: Govt minister and the pro-junta party, November, 2018
- Silly uncle is moving the mountain
- Who is left to run with Sudarat?
- Beijing treads carefully when scions of Thai political dynasty arrive in China in search of their roots
- From Red Shirts to Green Shirts
- Now he faces the heavyweight
- Thaksin’s new political party