Myanmar’s aviation industry booms despite grim safety record – Reuters, October 21, 2013
…But the appalling safety rate has hardly dented a broader trend in Myanmar’s aviation industry: spectacular growth. After decades under the thumb of xenophobic generals, one of Asia’s last frontiers of commercial aviation is opening up.
Passenger numbers are surging as new airlines spring up and foreign carriers rush in. Some officials and executives talk grandly of turning Myanmar into a regional hub.
The country, however, appears ill-prepared for the pace of change, putting both safety – and the prospects of many hopeful airlines – at risk…
- 13 years ago: Thaksin’s increasing boldness
- Remembering Thaksin as PM: Thaksin surprises reporters with X sign
- Analysis: Yingluck’s Strange Strategy
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – September, 2006
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – Newspaper Front Pages
- Sucking Ghost
- 6 Years Ago: Why did the Pheu Thai rush to alter the constitution?
- Monks too high to be touched
- Shinawatra family drama
- Weekly News Magazines: Who will lead the Pheu Thai, July, 2017