Myanmar: ‘Permanent’ Residence for Former Citizens, Foreigners to Start Next Month – The Irrawaddy, November 10, 2014
…“The system will strengthen the favorable conditions of Myanmar at right time and it will enable scholars, experts, intellectuals and investors from other countries as well as former Burmese citizens to contribute to national development,” he said, according to the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar.
Dual citizenship is prohibited in Burma, according to the 1982 Citizenship Law. Tens of thousands of Burmese exiles, who fled the country for various reasons under the military regime, effectively lost their Burmese citizenship while living abroad after being granted residency or citizenship in foreign countries.
The Burmese government is now reviewing citizenship applications for exiles, but has been criticized for an administrative backlog…
- From 2003: PM mixes business and politics
- News from the 1890s
- Snake with two heads
- Weekly News Magazines: Drawing the Lines for Elections, November, 2018
- Weekly News Magazines: Govt minister and the pro-junta party, November, 2018
- Silly uncle is moving the mountain
- Who is left to run with Sudarat?
- From Red Shirts to Green Shirts
- Beijing treads carefully when scions of Thai political dynasty arrive in China in search of their roots
- Now he faces the heavyweight
- Thaksin’s new political party