Myanmar gays seek Thai-style acceptance – AFP, April 17, 2011
…Traditionally, the only area where non-heterosexuality has been openly embraced is the realm of “nat” or spirit worship, a form of animism that is intertwined with Myanmar’s Buddhist beliefs.
Flamboyant and effeminate spirit mediums take centre stage at popular “nat” festivals throughout the year, but their acceptance here has also served to reinforce certain stereotypes of gay people in Myanmar…
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- The Bangkok bombs
- Spreading the Photo
- Goodbye to Cartoonist Chai
- Weekly News Magazines: Chor Under Fire, June, 2019
- Weekly News Magazines: No Return for Joke, June-July, 2019
- A Real Communist?
- Internal Conflicts
- Article 44 Lives
- Mocking Yingluck
- Weekly News Magazines: Govt Stability, July, 2019