From Manager, April 23, 2014
Sign at the top: Parking for constitutional judges only
Caretaker Premier Yingluck Shinawatra: What will it be for this lot…?
Caption: From a god-mother hinting at lotto numbers from her plate… now she, herself, has to look for a hint.
[The Thai idiom, “waiting for the lotto result” means waiting for a result of something. In this context, looking for a hint in lotto numbers means looking for a hint on how the judges will rule on Yingluck’s cases. Thais often look to the number plates of rich and powerful people for lucky numbers to bet on in the lottery.
Recently, the number plates of Yingluck’s vehicle during her trip to Chiang Mai turned up as lottery winners–even prompting many to believe the lottery was fixed to create positive superstitious buzz for the embattled premier.]
- 25 Years Ago: Black May
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- 6 Years Ago: Thaksin to return by year’s end to resume the war on drugs
- 2005: PM Thaksin, family praised as ‘Family Day’ role models
- 16 years ago: Thaksin’s strange start as prime minister – Finding a gold hoard
- From 2009: The collapse of the first Red Shirt siege of Bangkok
- Informing the U.N. on the junta
- Stepping on the Eastern Tiger’s tail
- Thai Editorial Cartoons on the Stolen Plaque
- The Missing Marker and Thai Democracy
- Get your gas from a demon