Rural debt in Thailand – Turning the tide – The Economist, September 19, 2013
…After spending a fair bit of time and effort to stabilise rural incomes in the face of plummeting agricultural prices, the government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Thailand’s prime minister, has now turned its attention to dealing with predatory lending practices. It is part of a wider effort, set in motion by her predecessor, to reform state-dominated rural credit markets.
Thailand has made great strides in improving access to financial services: 73% of the population now have a bank account and only 3% have no access to formal finance whatsoever. But lending by loan sharks has proved hard to stamp out…
- 11 years ago: Thai police to be reformed, Traffic police could face charges of extortion
- Eight Years Ago: Gen. Chavalit to lead “People’s Army”
- Foreign luxury brands plot against the junta!
- Yet still more cartoons on Prawit’s expensive watch
- New Year’s Cartoon: Something for the Poor
- Not Richard Mille
- New Year’s Cartoon: News of the Past Year
- They are going to get Prawit
- Let’s support Prayuth!
- The military party deserves a head start
- Red buffaloes got smarter