Rural debt in Thailand – Turning the tide – The Economist, September 19, 2013
…After spending a fair bit of time and effort to stabilise rural incomes in the face of plummeting agricultural prices, the government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Thailand’s prime minister, has now turned its attention to dealing with predatory lending practices. It is part of a wider effort, set in motion by her predecessor, to reform state-dominated rural credit markets.
Thailand has made great strides in improving access to financial services: 73% of the population now have a bank account and only 3% have no access to formal finance whatsoever. But lending by loan sharks has proved hard to stamp out…
- Weekly News Magazines: Long Live the King, July-August, 2018
- Big Jiew is getting sucked in
- Weekly News Magazines: Raising Chickens for the Military, July, 2018
- Defecting from Thaksin
- Instead of cutting, try sucking!
- Cables Detail C.I.A. Waterboarding at Secret Thai Prison
- Withdraw from the deep south!
- Political parties in a coma
- Top Red Shirts join with the military
- Chinese cartoonist
- They messed up the country