Rural debt in Thailand – Turning the tide – The Economist, September 19, 2013
…After spending a fair bit of time and effort to stabilise rural incomes in the face of plummeting agricultural prices, the government of Yingluck Shinawatra, Thailand’s prime minister, has now turned its attention to dealing with predatory lending practices. It is part of a wider effort, set in motion by her predecessor, to reform state-dominated rural credit markets.
Thailand has made great strides in improving access to financial services: 73% of the population now have a bank account and only 3% have no access to formal finance whatsoever. But lending by loan sharks has proved hard to stamp out…
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?
- Heaven vs Hell
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work