Leaked ‘Statement’ Adds to Dunkley Intrigue

Leaked ‘Statement’ Adds to Dunkley Intrigue – The Irrawaddy, February 17, 2011
…Tin Htun Oo holds 51 percent of the shares in The Myanmar Times and Dunkley and his fellow investors hold the remaining 49 percent stake.
…In 2004, the publishing landscape changed dramatically for The Myanmar Times when junta chief Snr-Gen Than Shwe purged Khin Nyunt’s entire intelligence service and placed the spy chief under house arrest.
Thein Swe was also arrested and received a sentence of more than 100 years in prison. And Sonny Swe, then the majority shareholder and the deputy chief executive officer of The Myanmar Times, was arrested on the charge of committing “economic crimes” (i.e. corruption), given a 14-year sentence and sent to prison in Lashio, Shan State.
The regime then hand-picked Tin Htun Oo as Dunkley’s new business partner and handed him Sonny Swe’s 51 percent interest in The Myanmar Times…

Aussie publisher’s fate with Burma govt – AAP, February 16, 2011
The fate of imprisoned Australian publisher Ross Dunkley lies with the Burmese legal system and government after investors settled over management control of the Myanmar Times newspaper, according to a senior investor representative…

This entry was posted in Myanmar/Burma. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>