Dancing for Love and Money in Thailand – WSJ, July 24, 2012
…For the premiere of “Lanna Dream” in spring 2011, some audience members got upset because my performance is very sensual and direct. We had them write comments, and they said they felt like I am what we call “licking the leg of the foreigner.”
What I’m doing is nothing against the conservativeness of this culture at all. If you go to the clubs here, you’ll see girls in really high shorts. But when it comes to something that we call “culture,” some people get very sensitive about sexuality and body parts. Why is it OK for girls to walk around in short-short shorts, but me wearing something like that is not OK?…
- The little people are corrupt
- Michael Ball recalls Man City ‘madness’: Thaksin Shinawatra gave us a team talk
- Domino fell the wrong way
- Helping the rice farmers
- Trump in Thai editorial cartoons
- Do you know how to live?
- Thailand caught in the middle
- Help out or win out?
- Words won’t stop the attack
- While keeping a votive tablet in the mouth
- Profiting from being military