Ikea Ad Outrages Trans Community In Thailand – queerty.com, January 22, 2013
…An ad tagged “Forget to Deceive” aired in late December and January and depicts a young woman so surprised by a bargain that she speaks in a deep male voice (the suggestion being that she’s trans or in drag). The woman’s male companion looks aghast and runs away, as she is left to schlep a heavy box of flat-packed furniture.
The Thai Transgender Alliance sent an open letter to the Swedish retailer, complaining that “the transgender content of the advertisement is negative and stereotypical in nature, perpetuating misunderstanding transgenderism as human sexuality for ‘deceitful and deviant lifestyle…’”
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Milling Ghosts Entering Parliament
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Thai Govt should cease pressuring the Central Bank – Rate cuts "futile and misguided"
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Yingluck Billboard
- UK scientist who accused Thai govt official of plagiarism has reported receiving death & kidnap threats
- Directions to Bangkok's 24-hour casinos
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- China dashes Thai hopes of cutting huge rice stockpile
- Myanmar’s Lawless Land