From Thairath, January 25, 2013
U.S. President Barack Obama: I swear… and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra: I swear, to the best of my ability, that I will amend, cancel and destroy the constitution of this country.
[The government, as well as the Red Shirts, have repeatedly vowed to rewrite the constitution to eliminate checks on a sitting government’s powers.]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally