Human rights: Thailand must transcend rhetoric – malaysiakini.com, March 7, 2011
…The issue of state impunity, especially the war on drugs, which reportedly lead to the extra-judicial killings of at least 2,500 people under the administration of Thaksin Shinnawatra, has been commonly referred to by the ruling Democrat-led government in the debate on how Thaksin’s administration had a worse human rights record than they. However, after almost two and a half years in office, the Democrat-led government has failed to bring a single high-ranking military or police officials involved in atrocities under Thaksin to trial.
The government promised that the case of disappeared human rights lawyer Somchai Neelaphaitjit would be given priority. The seventh anniversary of his disappearance will be commemorated next week and his family continues to wait, empty-handed.
It’s not very likely that culprits behind the assassination of 20 activists and 85 victims of the Tak Bai massacre will be held accountable for their crimes anytime soon. Nor would there be an investigation into the January 2009 incident where Burmese Rohingya refugees were mercilessly towed to sea to an uncertain fate without supplies…
- 11 Years Ago: The Tak Bai Incident
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- 9 Years Ago: Editorial Cartoons on the Death of Thai Rak Thai
9 ปีที่แล้ว : การ์ตูน ความตายแห่งไทยรักไทย
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: Crucify the Police Officer
- Confident that his party can make a comeback, Thaksin’s latest advice is more worrying than promising
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: Cut and reborn… ceaselessly…!
- 7 Years Ago: Bloody October
วันนี้เมื่อ 7 ปีที่แล้ว : โศกนาฏกรรมเดือนตุลาคม
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin grooming himself for south-east Asia leadership
วันนี้เมื่อ 12 ปีที่แล้ว: ชินวัตรเตรียมตัวที่จะเป็นผู้นำแห่งเอเชียตะวันออกเฉียงใต้
- 12 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- 6 Years Ago: Red Publications – October 2009
6 ปีที่แล้ว : สิ่งตีพิมพ์ของกลุ่มเสื้อแดง – ตุลาคม 2552
- Remembering the Thaksin Years: Thai Models Should Be Modest