From Thairath, by Sia, August 29, 2015
Title: How to make Thai people agree with the constitution
Left: The hand refers as NRC (National Reform Council) is trying to put the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) constitution into man’s mouth.
On the leg chains: NPCO [National Council for Peace and Order]
On handcuffs: Section 44 [part of the interim charter that gives the junta absolute power]
Mouse man: Doing it, even through they know it is a poison.
Mouse: Living a suffering life.
[This reflects the widespread belief that the approval of the junta’s initial draft charter was a foregone conclusion. However, in a shock move, the handpicked junta assembly voted down the draft which resulted in junta rule being extended for many more months.]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – September, 2006
- 11 Years Ago: The Coup – Newspaper Front Pages
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- Remembering the Downfall of Thaksin Shinawatra’s CEO-state
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- The network of the officials who helped Yingluck escape
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King