Bangkok Post Reporters
Police have decided to discontinue the year-long investigation into the deadly Bangkok bomb attacks on New Year's Eve of 2006, saying they have no clues as to who was behind the bombings.
The one-million-baht cash reward for information leading to the arrest of the bombers has also been cancelled, said Thani Somboonsap, the deputy national police chief.
He said investigators had struggled and worked on the case for as long as they could. They now agreed the investigation had reached the end of the line, he said.
"More than one year has passed. The investigators have agreed to call off the probe as they have been unable to find any offenders," said Pol Gen Thani.
He added that the investigators will submit a report informing the prosecution of their intention to stop proceeding with the case.
However, he said the case could be reopened in the future if and when new pieces of evidence emerge.
He added that the prosecution decided last Thursday to drop charges against Pradya Prichavej, 33, and Yutapong Kitisriworapan, 32, due to flimsy evidence. The two were earlier thought to be suspects in the bomb blast at Seacon Square, one of the nine locations bombed in Bangkok and Nonthaburi.
Eight bombs hit Bangkok and another one exploded in Nonthaburi on the night of Dec 31, 2006, and the early hours of Jan 1, killing three people and injuring 42.
In Bangkok, the explosions occurred at a bus stop near the Victory Monument, in a rubbish bin at the main market in Klong Toey, at traffic police booths in Saphan Khwai and at Sukhumvit Soi 62 and in the parking lot at the Seacon Square department store on Srinakarin road and the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin in the Phahon Yothin area.
In Nonthaburi, a bomb blew up a police booth at the Khae Rai intersection.
However, Pol Gen Thani said investigators will continue with their probe into three other bombings that occurred after the nine explosions.
A low-powered bomb exploded in a phone booth on the night of April 9 last year at the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin, the same site as one of the Dec 31 bombings.
On May 5, another bomb went off in a public telephone booth on Soi Ratchawithi 24, followed by an explosion near a telephone booth outside the Survey School of the Royal Thai Survey Department near the army headquarters on Ratchadamnoen avenue on Sept 30.
Pol Gen Thani said he believed the same group of bombers were involved in the three latest bombings.
Police were waiting for the results of lab tests on bomb shrapnel from the three bombing incidents, which is being conducted in Australia.
Former suspect Mr Pradya said he will not withdraw his 50-million-baht lawsuit against the Royal Thai Police Office.
He said it was obvious that he was made a scapegoat.
"I had to move to other provinces after I had sued the police. I'm afraid to live in Bangkok. I don't know what trouble I will face," he said.