From Thairath, May 22, 2014
Left, Soldier: Military must take control of the situation before the government appoints a foreigner as non-elected prime minister.
Middle, Man: How come?
Middle, soldier: Kittirat is making the economy plummet… [Kittirat refers to Kittirat Na Ranong, the caretaker finance minister.]
Right, soldier: …and the IMF will have to take control.
[This joke refers to the 1997 economic crash that necessitated a bailout deal with the IMF. At the time the Thai Rak Thai Party made much of the idea that rule of Thailand had been turned over to foreigners at the IMF.]
- Vintage images of King Chulalongkorn
- The King’s Birthday
- 14 Years Ago: Thaksin reveals his political successor
- Remember the bullet-proof child gods who led a brief Karen insurgency into Thailand in the 1990s?
- 6 Years Ago: After just a few months in office, govt pushing hard for Thaksin pardon
- From 1989: An article in the NYT about Rama IX
- 6 Years Ago: Pheu Thai govt moves fast–Proposed law gives police power to shut news media
- All About the Royal Cremation Ceremony for the late King
- The junta eats the budget
- He will live in our hearts eternally
- Sudarat is finished