Flood-proofing Bangkok could force canal dwellers out – BBC, January 26, 2012
…For the last nine years a government-backed project has been trying to convince the estimated 6,000 households who live along Bangkok’s watersways to give up their homes and allow canal areas to be redeveloped.
Some have agreed, trading greater living space for the security of living somewhere with legal status.
Others like Mrs Chuang and her neighbours have resisted.
“The floods have nothing to do with us. We live above the canal – we don’t make it flood,” said Mrs Chuang.
“They say if we don’t go they’re going to demolish our home, but we’ve been here 32 years…”
- Thailand’s censorship
- The temple as hostage
- Pride and money comes at the same time
- Chuwit is BACK!
- Everyone wants to use Section 44!
- University hostages
- Fees for the police
- Hack my house
- Donald Trump: America’s Berlusconi (or Thaksin, or Hariri, or…)
- What’s really behind Thailand’s hostility to Chinese tourists?
- Weekly News Magazines, January 13-27, 2017