Flood-proofing Bangkok could force canal dwellers out – BBC, January 26, 2012
…For the last nine years a government-backed project has been trying to convince the estimated 6,000 households who live along Bangkok’s watersways to give up their homes and allow canal areas to be redeveloped.
Some have agreed, trading greater living space for the security of living somewhere with legal status.
Others like Mrs Chuang and her neighbours have resisted.
“The floods have nothing to do with us. We live above the canal – we don’t make it flood,” said Mrs Chuang.
“They say if we don’t go they’re going to demolish our home, but we’ve been here 32 years…”
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- One of the world’s “most lethal terrorists” captured north of Bangkok
- Thai girls
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- The Junta Promises
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- Thailand Tax Refund Claims – 10 Truths to Share with Foreigners
- A Win-Win-Win Proposition for Thaksin
- Thaksin’s Temple: Dhammakaya
- Bangkok Trams (1894-1968) Main Page