Flood-proofing Bangkok could force canal dwellers out – BBC, January 26, 2012
…For the last nine years a government-backed project has been trying to convince the estimated 6,000 households who live along Bangkok’s watersways to give up their homes and allow canal areas to be redeveloped.
Some have agreed, trading greater living space for the security of living somewhere with legal status.
Others like Mrs Chuang and her neighbours have resisted.
“The floods have nothing to do with us. We live above the canal – we don’t make it flood,” said Mrs Chuang.
“They say if we don’t go they’re going to demolish our home, but we’ve been here 32 years…”
- Animated videos lauding Thaksin–He always “defies his fate”
- Thaksin’s Fear of the Eastern Tigers
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- Catching the Red Shirt gunmen
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Gen. Prayuth Army Sticker app
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Thailand Tax Refund Claims – 10 Truths to Share with Foreigners
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Koh Larn vendors force tourists off beach who won’t rent umbrellas from them