Flood-proofing Bangkok could force canal dwellers out – BBC, January 26, 2012
…For the last nine years a government-backed project has been trying to convince the estimated 6,000 households who live along Bangkok’s watersways to give up their homes and allow canal areas to be redeveloped.
Some have agreed, trading greater living space for the security of living somewhere with legal status.
Others like Mrs Chuang and her neighbours have resisted.
“The floods have nothing to do with us. We live above the canal – we don’t make it flood,” said Mrs Chuang.
“They say if we don’t go they’re going to demolish our home, but we’ve been here 32 years…”
- Constitution Day
- October 14, 1973
- The King’s Birthday
- Eight Years Ago: Airport Seized
- Weekly News Magazines, October 14-25, 2016 (The passing away of the King)
- More Thai newspaper headlines: Secure and peaceful because of your royal rule
- Govt warns citizens not to believe rumors on social media
- 7 years ago: Thaksin to receive $425 per month as Hun Sen advisor
- Nation weeps over His Majesty’s departure
- Love for the Monarchy: They Said We Were Brainwashed