Fatal Violence Strikes Antigovernment Rallies in Thailand – NYT, February 23, 2014
…Suthep Thaugsuban, the main leader of the protest movement, warned the Red Shirts that they would be “served popcorn” if they came too close to protesters, a reference to a gunman allied with the protest movement who this month fired an assault weapon at government supporters and partly concealed the weapon inside a bag of corn seed.
Charupong Ruangsuwan, the leader of Pheu Thai, the governing party, told the gathering of Red Shirts on Sunday that in the “fight this time death will be real.”
Mr. Charupong, who is also the interior minister, said 10 million guns were registered in Thailand. “These are guns for self-defense,” he said. “If anyone underestimates the power of the people, you’ll know about it. I believe that we must be prepared to enter a decisive situation.”
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Don’t help them form a government!
- Put in a basket and wash
- Danger for the junta