From Manager, November 1, 2012
Man on the boat: We did the right thing not letting him aboard… Or he’d make us all look really bad.
[On the boat is Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's cabinet. Frog, or in Thai, "gop," is the nickname of Jatuporn Promphan, a Red Shirt leader who was expected to be rewarded with a job in the cabinet, but was left out. The speaker implies that his presence in the government, as a firebrand Red Shirt leader facing charges in the sieges of Bangkok in 2009 and 2010, would embarrass the government. However, the joke is that the cabinet is filled with monitor lizards--which in Thai are used to represent base and despicable people.]
- Thai government responds to Washington Post article about Thai abuse of Burmese in the shrimp industry
- Milling Ghosts Entering Parliament
- Vietnam, Thailand & Cambodia urged to stop using vague concepts such as "national security", "sovereignty" or "lèse-majesté" to intimidate & harass dissent
- Thai Govt should cease pressuring the Central Bank – Rate cuts "futile and misguided"
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Yingluck Billboard
- UK scientist who accused Thai govt official of plagiarism has reported receiving death & kidnap threats
- Directions to Bangkok's 24-hour casinos
- The Wheel Begins to Turn: Weekly Rallies and Disapproving Academics
- China dashes Thai hopes of cutting huge rice stockpile
- Myanmar’s Lawless Land