About Politics – Bangkok Post, July 9, 2016
…According to the source, Pheu Thai has an organisational culture in which they take orders from no one other than the “Shin-da-wongs”, a reference to the three influential families of Shinawatra, Damapong and Wongsawat.
Yaowapa Wongsawat has had a dominating presence in Pheu Thai for years, while her younger sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, gradually built up clout during her two-year stint as prime minister.
Khunying Potjaman Damapong remains active in party affairs and is known as the party’s financial lifeline despite her divorce from Thaksin that took place less than a month after the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail over the Ratchadaphisek land deal case.
According to the party source, she has continued to provide support to Thai politicians who have been out of work since the May 22, 2014 coup through friends who were classmates at St Joseph School. With Khunying Potjaman in control of the purse strings, getting Pheu Thai’s big guns together is no easy task for Khunying Sudarat.
These three women are unlikely to let go of their grip on power easily, according to the source. So, it should not come as a surprise if Thaksin’s wish is no longer the party’s command, especially as he remains a fugitive, hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles from home.
- Anniversary of the End of the Absolute Monarchy in Thailand
- 11 Years Ago: First Red Shirt Move: Surprise Raid on Privy Council President’s House
- Bangkok’s Central Park becoming a reality?
- Weekly News Magazines: Suriya leaves Phea Thai, June, 2018
- Thai police still protect Yingluck overseas
- Weekly News Magazines: Tears of Suthep, June, 2018
- Pheu Thai defectors
- Weekly News Magazine: The Rescue, July 13-20, 2018
- Big Jiew is getting sucked in
- Chavalit is very fit