Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- A country that’s against pornography vs a country that produces porn
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Thailand international net traffic slowed
- How eccentric were the generals who conducted the 1988 coup in Burma?
- The strange case of the Gen. Prayut/Prayuth’s name change
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- Nike Factories In Thailand
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Thailand’s “Iron Lady” pressured to leave key post after exposing government corruption
- Is Gen. Prayuth really growing “eccentric” or “superstitious” as Time Magazine claims?
- 57 Years Ago: Sarit deposes Phibul