Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- Remembering Black May 1992
- All About Royal Ploughing Day
- Four Years Ago: Another Coup in Thailand
- I burned the city? When?
- Student Hero
- A young girl does a better job than the PM
- Who will come crawling?
- Talking to the snake
- Anti-rabies GT 200
- The rich man is not full yet
- Thai-style Animal Protection Unit