Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- Democracy Just Doesn’t Work
- Beating Opponents
- The Bangkok bombs
- Napoleon pig… is in every era
- Fighting for seats
- Spreading the Photo
- Principles distinguish a human from a cockroach
- Goodbye to Cartoonist Chai
- Weekly News Magazines: Chor Under Fire, June, 2019
- Weekly News Magazines: No Return for Joke, June-July, 2019
- A Real Communist?