Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- Constitution Day
- The King’s Birthday
- Eight Years Ago: Airport Seized
- 7 years ago: Thaksin to receive $425 per month as Hun Sen advisor
- New requirements for long stay visa
- The real reason people are poor
- The U.S. supports IS
- Thaksin still not dead
- Handouts to rural people end up helping who?
- Death by Facebook
- Thailand’s censorship