Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- Thailand’s censorship
- The temple as hostage
- Pride and money comes at the same time
- Chuwit is BACK!
- Everyone wants to use Section 44!
- University hostages
- Fees for the police
- Hack my house
- Donald Trump: America’s Berlusconi (or Thaksin, or Hariri, or…)
- What’s really behind Thailand’s hostility to Chinese tourists?
- Weekly News Magazines, January 13-27, 2017