Cambodia’s Micro-credit Trap – www.asiasentinel.com, May 23, 2011
…In 2005 he was presented with an opportunity to borrow US$500 from Credit Microfinance Institution, a firm established by the Christian charity World Relief US in 1993, to set up a small food stall in Trapaing Krasaing commune where crowds of garment workers pass on their way to work. His decision that day to take the money would stay with him for years.
Since then, borrowing more and more from private lenders to pay back microlenders, he has fallen into a complicated web of debt now so severe that he is considering selling his house and about 50 square meters of land, together worth around US$6,000…
- Disappearing article on lese majeste
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Gen. Prayuth could dismiss PM Prayuth?
- Thaksin’s public beatings
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Bangkok Master Plans 1979-2006
- Thai girls
- Thaksin’s Temple: Dhammakaya
- Thaksin – The Business of Politics in Thailand
- Thailand Tax Refund Claims – 10 Truths to Share with Foreigners
- Chuwit memes – Junta message to politics