Cambodia’s King Under Criticism for Not Intervening in Election Dispute – RFA, September 11, 2013
…But Prince Sisowath Thomico, a CNRP member and former adviser to King Sihamoni, said the monarch may be wary of using his influence to break the deadlock as it may risk endangering the monarchy itself.
The CPP, he said, has at least twice made direct threats against the institution of the monarchy—once in 2005, when Hun Sen warned the king his throne was at stake if he did not endorse Cambodia-Vietnam border treaties, and again in 2006, when senior party member Cheam Yeap said the CPP could abolish the monarchy just as it had reinstalled it.
“Who holds the power at present?” Prince Thomico asked. “Who controls the army, the police, the armed forces?”
He said Hun Sen could “stage a coup to depose the monarchy at any time…”
- Constitution Day
- October 14, 1973
- The King’s Birthday
- Eight Years Ago: Airport Seized
- Weekly News Magazines, October 14-25, 2016 (The passing away of the King)
- More Thai newspaper headlines: Secure and peaceful because of your royal rule
- Govt warns citizens not to believe rumors on social media
- 7 years ago: Thaksin to receive $425 per month as Hun Sen advisor
- Nation weeps over His Majesty’s departure
- Love for the Monarchy: They Said We Were Brainwashed