Arrests of Land Rights Activists Doubled in 2012 – cambodiadaily.com, January 25, 2013
…Mr. Soveth said authorities arrested 201 land activists and protesters last year, which is more than double the 98 they arrested in 2011, and higher than any year on record since 2007.
“It’s a confrontation between the government and the people, rather than between the people and the private companies,” he said. “The government tries to protect the companies.”
Among those arrested last year was Tep Vanny, along with a dozen other fellow residents of Phnom Penh’s Boeng Kak neighborhood. Ms. Vanny became one of a group known as the “Boeng Kak 13” when the municipal court convicted them in May after a summary trial for peacefully protesting against their evictions…
- A country that’s against pornography vs a country that produces porn
- Thailand international net traffic slowed
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- How eccentric were the generals who conducted the 1988 coup in Burma?
- Nike Factories In Thailand
- The strange case of the Gen. Prayut/Prayuth’s name change
- Thailand’s “Iron Lady” pressured to leave key post after exposing government corruption
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- The 2006 Coup in Thailand
- Gem shop locations involved in the scam
- 57 Years Ago: Sarit deposes Phibul