Arrests of Land Rights Activists Doubled in 2012 – cambodiadaily.com, January 25, 2013
…Mr. Soveth said authorities arrested 201 land activists and protesters last year, which is more than double the 98 they arrested in 2011, and higher than any year on record since 2007.
“It’s a confrontation between the government and the people, rather than between the people and the private companies,” he said. “The government tries to protect the companies.”
Among those arrested last year was Tep Vanny, along with a dozen other fellow residents of Phnom Penh’s Boeng Kak neighborhood. Ms. Vanny became one of a group known as the “Boeng Kak 13” when the municipal court convicted them in May after a summary trial for peacefully protesting against their evictions…
- A tale of two newspapers: Black May 13 years later
- Part V – Ian Neumegen
- 21 Years Ago: Black May
- Big Brother Shocks Thailand
- Slain Italian Photographer’s Last Photos Unveiled
- Gem Scam: 463/9-12, Look-Luang Rd
- Let’s Make Bangkok’s Central Park!
- Directions to Bangkok’s 24-hour casinos
- Eight Years Ago: Thaksin’s World – Coming full circle from Black May
- Politics in the Age of Thaksin
- Waste Water Treatment Project Using Effective Microorganisms for the People โครงการบำบัดน้ำเน่าเสืยด้วยจุลินทรีย์เพื่อพี่น้องประชาชน