Burmese smugglers get rich on Yingluck Shinawatra’s £13 billion Thai rice subsidies – Telegraph, February 4, 2014
[Thanks to Tom for pointing this out.]
…On the outskirts of Myawaddy, The Telegraph watched as lorries pulled into a compound close to the river bank guarded by Burmese soldiers. Sacks of rice were swiftly unloaded and transferred to waiting boats. “We started sending ’chicken feed’ to Thailand in big quantities a couple of years ago,” said the officer in charge of the soldiers. “It’s transported mostly at night. Generally, we’ll send 100 sacks at a time.
…the policy has come to symbolise what the anti-government protesters regard as Pheu Thai’s abuse of power. “People see rice-smuggling as a victimless crime,” said Dr Nipon. “But it’s the Thai taxpayers who are suffering…”
- Prem Tinsulanonda in Context
- Hopewell was a great investment
- Thanathorn must learn from Thaksin
- Who came crawling after all?
- I’m with Pom!
- Weekly News Magazines: Coronation, May, 2019
- The best man for the job is…
- Weekly News Magazines: Thanathorn switched off, May, 2019
- To disclose is the Key, To Conceal is the Exemption
- Filling the senate
- What is needed to ruin the Future Forward Party?